Natural Allergy Remedy

natural allergy remedy

I originally posted this as an Instagram and got a lot of questions in response.  I thought I’d write a post to hit the highlights on our natural allergy treatment and why we’re loving it.

Here are the basics on how essential oils work work and how we use them to treat our seasonal allergies.

Essential oils are like the immune system of the plant.  The oils are distilled from the stems, leaves, bark, and flowers.  These extracts are 50-70 times more powerful than herbs.  A lot of people might drink nettle tea or peppermint tea to soothe allergy symptoms.  Those are great products, but 1 drop of peppermint essential oil is equal to 28 cups of peppermint tea.  So the potency is significantly higher, which means faster, better results with oils.

If you’ve been following me for any length of time you know I’m extremely picky about what we put in our bodies.  I’ve researched essential oils extensively and chose doTERRA because they are the only company that does CPTG testing with a 3rd party.  There is no industry regulation over essential oils so you might be getting an over the counter bottle that is only 10% lemon oil and the other 90% is just a carrier oil. They can also contain pollutants or other contaminants.  doTERRA’s extensive testing and the fact that they source from the plants native origins makes me feel safe using them on myself and my kids.  It’s why so many of their oils can be used internally when others can only be applied topically.

For allergies:

  • 2 drops lemon
  • 2 drops lavender
  • 2 drops peppermint

These are all natural antihistamines.  I put mine in a veggie capsule and take it with water.  You can also mix the oils in a small shot glass with a little water and drink them or rub them on the bottom of your feet.  Applying them to the feet is a great trick for kids who can’t take pills and think the peppermint is too strong to drink.  When I first started this morning routine, I felt relief from my congestion within in the first hour of taking the pill.  After about a week, I was symptom free.  I’ve been most impressed by their ability to get rid of the itchy eyes because none of the allergy medicines I’ve tried in the past have been able to relieve that symptom.

I live in Nashville and we all have horrible seasonal allergies.  The itchy watery eyes usually start as soon as the first buds form on the trees and scratchy throat and drainage follow.  I used to get sinus infections every year, but with clean eating I was able to minimize that.  Unfortunately, nothing I tried in the past could get rid of the itchy, watery eyes until I started using essential oils.

Other helpful recipes using essential oils:

Fever:

  • Dilute 1-2 drops of lavender or peppermint in 2 tablespoons of carrier oil (coconut oil or olive oil), and massage a small amount on the neck, on the feet, behind the ears and on the back.  I also rub it along the hairline on the forehead.

Sore Throat:

  • Massage 1 drop of melaleuca and 1 drop of OnGuard mixed with 1 tablespoon of carrier oil onto the throat every hour or as needed.  
  • Gargle 1 drop of oregano in a little juice and swallow.  Repeat 3x a day.

Prevention:

  • Use OnGuard essential oil blend with Frankincense every day on the bottom of the feet to strengthen the immune system.

Remember, only use essential oils internally if they have “Supplement Facts” on the side of the bottle from doTERRA.  Water drives in oil so if something feels to warm or too cold on your skiing, don’t try to wash it off.  Add a carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil to help dilute it.

If you want to give the natural allergy remedy a try or have additional questions about essential oils, you can email me at calie (at) broccolicupcake (dot) com.  You can also place an order online.

 

Share this:
Share this page via Email Share this page via Stumble Upon Share this page via Digg this Share this page via Facebook Share this page via Twitter
Share

Comments

  1. I terribly suffer from spring allergies from March through June. I am definitely going to try this, thank you for the post!! (BTW, you may want to edit “skiing” in your second to last paragraph; looks like an autocorrect bug hit it :)

Speak Your Mind

*

CommentLuv badge
Uses wordpress plugins developed by www.wpdevelop.com
Get Adobe Flash player

TRX Training TRX Bands TRX Suspension Bands trx suspension training TRX Suspension Training PRO Kit TRX FORCE Kit Tactical