This weekend we broke out the fall decorations, jeans and sweatshirts for the first time after a long hot summer. In honor of fall’s arrival, we also spent the weekend developing some exciting new recipes loaded with warm, comforting fall produce. Today, I’m sharing one of my favorites. It’s a sweet and tangy red quinoa bowl with roasted butternut squash and a creamy cilantro lime dressing.
- 1/2 cup of cooked red quinoa
- 1/4 cup of roasted butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons of cooked black bean
- 2 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/8 teaspoon of lime zest
- 2 teaspoons of chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- expeller pressed coconut oil (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F then cut and peel a butternut squash. Place it on a baking sheet and drizzle with a little coconut oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes or until it’s soft and easy to pierce with a fork.
- While your squash is cooking, prepare your red quinoa according to package directions. I always make more than I need so I can use the extra in other meals throughout the week. It’s easy to cook. Just mix 2 parts water to 1 part red quinoa. Bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- In a small bowl, mix the Greek yogurt, lime zest and about 1 tablespoon of lime juice with a 2 teaspoons of chopped cilantro.
- Plate the quinoa and top with black beans (I used canned beans), roasted squash, the remaining lime juice and a large dollop of the cilantro lime Greek yogurt mix. Top with a little cilantro for garnish and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy hot near an open window while wearing an oversized sweatshirt and breathing in the full flavor of fall
Before you finalize this week’s meal plan take a minute to visit my sweet friend Amie at The Healthy Apple. She is a culinary talent who creates dishes that make you forget you’re eating vegetables (or seriously appreciate it, depending on your view of veggies). This week, she put together a Sweet n’ Spicy Raspberry Salad with Honey Vinaigrette for me to share with you. Hop over to her blog and check it out.
Stay tuned for more fall favorites coming soon.