These Halloween popcorn balls are a healthier option than candy, but still sweet and delicious. They combine pumpkin and applesauce for a boost of nutrients, an array of fall flavors and a splash of natural orange coloring. I made them for my secret #Halloswap buddy and I’ll make them several times between now and Halloween for friends, neighbors and the boys. This is a pretty easy recipe and you can change up the ingredients or add to them to suit your taste.
- 6 cups of stovetop popcorn (I pop mine in expeller pressed coconut oil)
- 3/4 cup of vegan marshmallows (you can use regular, but the vegan version have less sugar and chemical additives)
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of pureed pumpkin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
Directions: Heat about 2 tablespoon of expeller pressed coconut oil in a large pan that has a lid over medium heat. Add in 3/4 cup of popcorn kernels and cover. Pop. Measure 6 cups of popcorn into a large bowl and set aside. In a medium size sauce pan melt the honey and marshmallows over medium heat. Stir continuously until liquified. Remove your pan from the heat and add in the pumpkin, applesauce and cinnamon. Mix well and pour over the popcorn. Allow to cool for about 3-5 minutes. Form into balls, wrap in wax paper and tie shut with a string.
You can add chocolate chips, finely chopped nuts, or dried fruit to change these up. You can also try mixing in a variety of spices, maybe even a little nutmeg and cloves to get a pumpkin pie flavor.
What’s your favorite Halloween treat?