What’s a hot towel scrub, you ask? It’s my new quiet time and the most relaxing and rejuvenating way to start the day.
I first tried it a few years ago when I was doing a week long detox, but I had completely forgotten about this soothing, self-care technique until a recent lifestyle course at nutrition school. It’s become a regular part of my week and I’ve already noticed my skin getting brighter and softer and my morning energy and mood improving.
A hot towel scrub is exactly what it sounds like. A full body scrub using a wash cloth and hot water. It’s most helpful first thing in the morning to help wake you up and get the blood moving or right before bed to help you relax, but really, you can do it anytime of day.
Here’s the how and why.
- Turn on the hot water and stand on a towel in front of your sink.
- Fill the sink with hot water and gently dip and ring out your washcloth.
- While the washcloth is still hot, gently begin scrubbing your skin.
- Start with your hands and work in between the fingers and up your arms.
- Do one section of your body at a time. Face and neck. Chest and stomach. Don’t forget your toes and underarms.
- Scrub each area until the skin becomes slightly pink, but don’t rub too hard. This should be relaxing.
- Pay special attention to any areas where you notice muscles tension.
- Reheat your washcloth as needed.
Why? (Health Benefits):
- Re-energizes you in the morning or deeply relaxes you in the evening.
- Reduces muscles tension.
- Opens your pores to help release toxins.
- Helps excess fat, mucus and cellulite discharge to the surface instead of settling around your organs.
- Softens deposits of hard fat below the skin and gets them ready to be discharged from the body.
- Calms the mind and relieves stress.
- Promotes circulation.
- Activates the lymphatic system (especially when scrubbing the underarms and groin).
- Can be a sacred moment in your day. Make it your own. Pray, focus on a scripture or positive thought for your day. Light a candle. Whatever helps you relax and feel cared for.
Have you tried a hot towel scrub? If not, I encourage you to test it out and see how it makes you feel. It doesn’t have to take a long time. It can be a 2 minute process or a 20 minute process depending on your day and your needs. Start by adding it to your routine once or twice a week and see what happens.