How’s the spring cleaning going for everyone? I don’t know about you guys, but I’m having a hard time choosing between spending time on the inside of the house and working outside in the garden. That’s why I like that we’re only tackling one project a day. It leaves more time for the fun stuff. But, since the house isn’t going to clean itself, I’ll move on to today’s topic.
Below, I hit the highlights of the most common office features and tips for cleaning them naturally. Be sure to read through to the end for details on a fun little giveway!
- Computer Screen – You have two simple choices. If you clean your screen regularly all you really need is a clean microfiber cloth. It will capture all the dust and with a little extra oopmh it will rub off fingerprints as well. If your screen is really dirty, you can also mix a solution of 50 % water and 50% white vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray a very light mist onto a soft cloth (like an old t-shirt) and use it to wipe away spots.
- Keyboard – Did you know it’s estimated that our keyboards are 6xs dirtier than our toilet seats? How nasty is that! I have to admit I’m terrbile about cleaning mine. Use these tips to clean and disinfect. Start by gently brushing off the keyboard with a microfiber cloth. Next, use a Q-tip dampened with a solution of 50% water and 50% white vinegar (do not get it wet…only damp) to clean the tops of the keys and in between them.
- Phone – I realize most of us have mobile phones, but cleaning your office is a good time to think about cleaning and disinfecting your phone. Gently mist a soft, clean, lint-free rag with the same solution of 50% water and 50% white vinegar and wipe down the entire phone.
- Window- Can you guys guess what I’m going to use? You got it! White vinegar. On my glass and windows I use 100% white vinegar in a spray bottle and wipe it down with a clean, lint free cloth. (Adding water makes it streak.) If you’re windows flip in, make sure to clean both sides. I also open the window and vacuum out the window tray. Then I spray the tray and window sill with white vinegar befoe wiping them down. I run the same vinegar soaked rag over the screen to pick up any dust and dirt. I leave the window open and let the breeze and smells of spring blow in.
- Rug – If you have carpet or an area rug this is one of my favorite tricks. Use plain baking soda or to add a light, relaxing scent, poke holes in the top of the box, add a few drops of lavendar essential oil and shake it up - then sprinkle enough to cover the entire rug. Let it sit for 30 minutes or more and vacuum. My rug always looks and smells so much cleaner after doing this. (Baking soda also works great on spills. Mop them up, sprinkle with baking soda, let it sit, then vacuum.)
- Lamp Shade – You have a few options here depending on the type of lamp shade. If you can, use the brush attachment and vacuum the shade. If there are stains, rub them with cornmeal. It acts as a gentle abrasive and removes dirt and even oily stains. If you have an intricate lamp shade, use a clean paint brush to dust it.
- Desk/Bookshelves – As much as I hate to do it, I start by removing everything from the desktop and bookshelves. If they’re made of wood, I dust them with a microfiber cloth. If they’re metal or any other material I usually go back to my stand by water/white vinegar solution.
If you’re looking at your office thinking, I’d love to clean my desk, but first I have to find it. (Just me?) Then check out Krista’s post on decluttering and organizing your office. She’s an organizing genius and actually loves to do it. I can’t relate, but I need her to come over and help me!
And now for the giveaway. I always find a clean and organized office more relaxing to work in (even though mine is rarely clean or organized.) If admist the mess, background music and scented candles always help me relax. So today’s giveaway is a set of two 7 oz Trend D Home soy candles. Encased in simple glass tumblers, these luxe, eco-friendly candles—made from hand-poured soy wax—are a sweet scented indulgence. Soy burns cleaner and 40% longer than traditional paraffin wax, and cooler, melting into a reflective pool that won’t burn when touched. The ingredients are so pure that you can even use a drop of cooling wax to heal irritated and chapped skin.
To enter, visit the Trend D Home Etsy page and leave a comment telling us which candle you’d choose and why. (This is a mandatory step to qualify for the giveaway.)
For additional entries:
- Leave a comment telling us how you relax.
- Like Trend D Home on Facebook and leave a comment letting us know you did.
- Like Broccoli Cupcake on Facebook and leave a comment letting us know you did.