Life is crazy this week, so I’m repurposing a post I wrote about this time last year on choosing a better sunscreen. I think it’s relevant as the days are getting longer and warmer and we’re all spending more time outside. Let’s us know if you’ve found a great sunscreen that’s not on our list. I’ve recently heard Vanicream is something worth checking out.
Choosing a Healthier Sunscreen:
Every summer we lather on sprays and lotions to protect ourselves from the sun’s harmful rays unaware that the ingredients in our sunscreens can be just as harmful.
If you’re looking to protect your skin this summer (and you should be) here are few healthy tips to get you started.
Common sense tactics for sun safety:
Don’t rely on sunscreen as your only form of protection
- Wear sun hats or ball caps to shade your face and protect your scalp
- Pick up a few lightweight long-sleeve shirts for ballgames, picnics, etc.
- Use shade umbrellas on patio tables, at the pool and at the beach
- Wear a rash-guard with your swimsuit to cover more skin
- Save the sunscreen for extended periods of sun exposure and choose wisely. Ten minutes of unprotected sun exposure can actually be good for you allowing your body to absorb much needed vitamin D.
Healthier Sunscreen Options:
- Aubrey Organics – www.aubrey-organics.com
- Badger Balm – www.badgerbalm.com
- California Baby – www.californiababy.com
- Dermalogica – www.dermstore.com
- Natria Sun Screen – www.naturessunshine.com
- UV Natural – www.uvnatural.com
- Jason’s Natural – www.jason-natural.com
- Earth’s Best – www.earthsbest.com
- Alba Organics – www.albabotanica.com
Be sure to plan ahead. Most of the sunscreens listed above are tough to find in stores and have to be ordered online. Other than that, enjoy summer and the sun while it lasts because winter always comes too fast.