Here’s a mini-broccoli cupcake, which is actually more of a cheesecake. What do you think? Would you make these at home?
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cup grated yellow cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled/shredded broccoli pieces
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- pinch of garlic salt
optional topping: sautéed apples (cut up 2 Granny Smith apples and sauté with 1 Tbsp butter until browned), cooked bacon pieces, cream cheese (can use veggie or plain) for frosting
Preheat oven 425 degrees and a cupcake pan with cooking spray or use liners.
Make the dough: Pulse the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a food processor. Add the shortening and pulse until combined. Add the butter; pulse 4 or 5 times, or until the butter is in pea-size pieces. Add the cheese and broccoli and pulse 2 or 3 times. Pour in the milk and pulse just until the mixture is moistened and forms a shaggy dough. Turn out onto a clean surface and gently knead until the dough comes together. Do not overwork the dough or the cupcake muffins will be tough.
Drop the dough into the muffin/cupcake liners in scant 1/4-cup portions and bake until golden, about 15 to 20 minutes.